Thinking about Making Mono Ontario Your Home?

What You and Your Real Estate Agent Need to Know

The Town of Mono is known for its natural beauty. The following will help you navigate the ins and outs of country living in Mono.

Zoning, Regulated Lands, and Other Considerations

Use the Town’s online mapping to find out:

The following trails may be on your property or near it:

The property may also be on the Town’s Heritage Registry or be a Designated Heritage Property.

Building, Wells, Septics, and Site Alterations

Depending on what you are building, you may be required to get a Municipal Approval and Road Occupancy from Town of Mono and a building permit from Dufferin County. View the Building / Development Permit Process.


Most rural properties use a septic system for waste water. It is highly recommended to have the tanks inspected according to your service provider.

Private Well

Generally, with rural properties, the potable water supply is a private well located on the property. They require regular maintenance. Well water should be tested as per Public Health guidelines.

Find out more about taking care of your well on the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Health Unit’s website.

Important Municipal Bylaws

Here is a list of some important Town of Mono bylaws which may affect the enjoyment of your property. (Please see for more bylaws).

Other Information for You

Schools and Bus Routes

To find which school and bus routes service the property visit:

Waste Management

Waste collection in Mono is a service provided by Dufferin County. To find out the property’s waste collection day and learn about the recycling and compost programs, visit:


You can find information about some local clubs online.


You can access a .pdf version of of this guide online:

New Resident Brochure

You may also be interested in viewing or downloading the New Resident Brochure:

* indicates a required field

You can also download the form as a .pdf, fill it out, and submit it by email to or mail it:

ATTN: Planning Department
Town of Mono
347209 Mono Centre Road
Mono, ON
L9W 6S3

Contact Information


What Is Your Inquiry? *

Check all boxes that apply. Please add comments under Other.

Security Check *

You must check the box. The purpose of the security check is to prevent spam and help avoid spam and malicious submissions to our forms.

Checkmark icon in a circle
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Grading Review Fee Payment

Pay the fee for a Grading Review. A grading review may be required during the development permit process if the property is zoned Suburban Residential. This fee can be paid online or in-person at Town Hall.

Zoning Confirmation Fee Payment

Pay the fee for a Zoning Confirmation Letter. The letter can be used if the property is being sold and the buyer wants information about the land uses and zoning of the property.

Other Planning Fees

Pay a fee that is not listed on the Paying Planning Fees Online Page. Please only use this form if you have been asked to do so by the Town of Mono's Planning Department.


Please self-identify your familiarity with and understanding of the Planning Process. Completing this section will help staff deliver comments on your proposal in the most effective way.

  • No Experience:
  • Not familiar with the Town's policies and guidelines
  • No previous experience with the Planning application process
  • Not aware of what drawings or reports would be required to support a development proposal or why they are needed Somewhat Experienced
  • Some Experience
  • Some previous experience with the Planning application process
  • Have an understanding that drawings or reports may be required to support a development proposal but not sure how to identify which ones
  • Experienced
  • Professional understanding of the Town's policies and guidelines
  • Extensive experience with the Planning application process
  • Working technical knowledge of which drawings or reports are typically required to support a development proposal
↑ Back to Top

1. Location of Property

↑ Back to Top

2. Registered Property Owner - Mailing Address

↑ Back to Top

3. Applicant/Authorized Agent - Mailing Address (if different than Owner)

↑ Back to Top

4. Description of Existing Property

↑ Back to Top

5. Proposal

Lot Creation


↑ Back to Top

6. Policy Framework

↑ Back to Top

7. Site Servicing

How is the existing property serviced? 

How is the proposed development intended to be serviced?

↑ Back to Top

8. Development Constraints

Describe any natural features and/or functions, including hydrogeological on or adjacent to the subject property (i.e. water courses, valleylands, wetlands, woodlands, ANSI, Provincial Parks, Town-owned lands, Dufferin county forests, CA lands).

Source Water Protection

 A. Salt Application & Storage  Yes
 B. Fuel Handling & Storage  Yes
 C. Waste Storage  Yes
 D. Chemical Handling & Storage  Yes
 E. Agricultural Material Application & Storage  Yes
↑ Back to Top

9. Drawings

Drawings are required for all pre-consultation applications.

The personal information collected on this form is collected under the authority of the Planning Act as amended. The information is used for the purposes of scheduling and preparing a pre-consultation meeting. Questions regarding the collection of this information should be directed to the Towns Records/FOI Coordinator at 519-941-3599, ext. 230

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Official Plan Schedule Maps

Front Desk Access

A Town of Mono Natural Heritage binder is located at the Town of Mono Town Hall front desk, containing the draft Natural Heritage Atlas mapping, policies and methods, for review and comment. Additional copies of binder materials may be requested at the front desk.

All comments, additions or deletions would be gratefully appreciated. Please send by email to the Planning Department or leave written materials at the Town of Mono Municipal front desk. Thank you.

View Larger Map