Source Water Protection

Source water is any untreated water found in rivers, lakes and underground aquifers which is used for the supply of raw water for drinking water systems. Source water protection is the action taken to protect that raw source of municipal drinking water from overuse and pollution.

View larger map

Wellhead Protection Areas (click to enlarge)

Municipalities are responsible for the regulation of activities that may pose a risk of contaminating drinking water sources (drinking water threats) on a site-specific basis. Source Water Protection Plan policies generally apply to activities located within surface water Wellhead Protection Areas (also known as vulnerable areas).


The Town of Mono has been a leader in the protection of groundwater resources. The Town held two successful conferences in the 1990's devoted to groundwater protection policies, Headwaters I: There's Always Someone Downstream and Headwaters II: No More Flush and Forget.

In 2004, following the tragedy in Walkerton, the Town of Mono became one of the first municipalities in Ontario to develop and incorporate wellhead protection policies in its Official Plan.

Source Water Protection Plan

In 2006 the Province passed the Clean Water Act, 2006: legislation designed to help communities protect the sources of their drinking water. The Act requires municipalities, businesses and residents, working together, to implement local Source Protection Plans. The Town of Mono is governed by two Source Protection Plans, approved under the Clean Water Act, 2006. The policies in the two Source Protection Plans outline how sources of drinking water will be protected.


Credit Valley-Toronto and Region-Central Lake Ontario (CTC) Source Protection Plan


South Georgian Bay Lake Simcoe Source Protection Plan

Residents, Landowners and Farmers

There are many simple things one can do to protect drinking water sources, including:

  • Maintaining septic systems;
  • Disposing of hazardous waste properly;
  • Minimizing the use of pesticides, fertilizers and de-icing salt; and/or,
  • Storing fuels properly.

Farmers can also protect groundwater sources by:

  • Controlling field and stream bank erosion;
  • Using safe storage and handling systems for manure;
  • Creating a nutrient management plan; and/or,
  • Controlling barnyard runoff and diverting clean water.

If your property is within a Wellhead Protection Area, you may need to complete a Risk Management Plan. For further information, please contact the Town of Mono Risk Management Official.

Septic Systems

To meet the requirements of the Ontario Building Code, the County of Dufferin's Building Department may conduct inspections of septic systems in certain areas. If your septic system is not functioning properly and you are located within a Wellhead Protection Area, you may be required to rectify the issue.

All septic systems within the Wellhead Protection Areas were inspected in 2015 at which time no concerns were identified.


Businesses also have roles and responsibilities to protect our environment and help preserve the quality of our drinking water. If your business is within a Wellhead Protection Area, there may be policies in the Source Protection Plan that apply to you.

Businesses may be required to complete a Risk Management Plan before they begin a land development project that could impact the groundwater. Existing businesses may also be required to do so if their activities pose a threat to groundwater. For further information, please contact the Town of Mono Risk Management Official.

The Way Forward

Source Water Protection Signs

Source water protection signs will be erected throughout our Wellhead Protection Areas to enhance public awareness pertaining to our drinking water. These signs physically identify the most vulnerable zones within a wellhead protection area, and are part of a larger education and outreach strategy in accordance with the Source Protection Plans.

Official Plan and Zoning By-law Updates

Planning Staff are working with Dufferin County and the Province to update our current groundwater protection policies and incorporate the policies of the Source Water Plans into our respective Official Plan and Zoning By-law. The purpose of these updates is to ensure that the Town conforms with Ontario’s Clean Water Act, 2006, and the ongoing safety and protection of our drinking water.

Town of Mono Town Hall

  • 347209 Mono Centre Road
  • Mono, ON L9W 6S3
  • 519.941.3599
  • » Map

Risk Management Official

  • Ryan Post
  • Lead Hydrogeologist, Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority
  • 705.424.1479, 249 |

Further Reading


Source Water Protection Planning Memo 2018 Mar 6


Source Water Protection Draft Zoning Bylaw Amendment


Draft Official Plan Amendment


CTC Source Water Protection Plan


South Georgian Bay Lake Simcoe Source Protection Plan


Wellhead Protection Areas | Conservation Ontario


Drinking Water | Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change


Source Water Protection | Conservation Ontario


Know Your Drinking Water! | Conservation Ontario


Blue Economy Initiative


Headwaters I: There's Always Someone


Headwaters II: No More Flush and Forget


Treating Your Septic System with Care | Town of Mono


Smart Septic | Ministry of Agriculture, Food & Rural Affairs

Water Conservation Videos


Please self-identify your familiarity with and understanding of the Planning Process. Completing this section will help staff deliver comments on your proposal in the most effective way.

  • No Experience:
  • Not familiar with the Town's policies and guidelines
  • No previous experience with the Planning application process
  • Not aware of what drawings or reports would be required to support a development proposal or why they are needed Somewhat Experienced
  • Some Experience
  • Some previous experience with the Planning application process
  • Have an understanding that drawings or reports may be required to support a development proposal but not sure how to identify which ones
  • Experienced
  • Professional understanding of the Town's policies and guidelines
  • Extensive experience with the Planning application process
  • Working technical knowledge of which drawings or reports are typically required to support a development proposal
↑ Back to Top

1. Location of Property

↑ Back to Top

2. Registered Property Owner - Mailing Address

↑ Back to Top

3. Applicant/Authorized Agent - Mailing Address (if different than Owner)

↑ Back to Top

4. Description of Existing Property

↑ Back to Top

5. Proposal

Lot Creation


↑ Back to Top

6. Policy Framework

↑ Back to Top

7. Site Servicing

How is the existing property serviced? 

How is the proposed development intended to be serviced?

↑ Back to Top

8. Development Constraints

Describe any natural features and/or functions, including hydrogeological on or adjacent to the subject property (i.e. water courses, valleylands, wetlands, woodlands, ANSI, Provincial Parks, Town-owned lands, Dufferin county forests, CA lands).

Source Water Protection

 A. Salt Application & Storage  Yes
 B. Fuel Handling & Storage  Yes
 C. Waste Storage  Yes
 D. Chemical Handling & Storage  Yes
 E. Agricultural Material Application & Storage  Yes
↑ Back to Top

9. Drawings

Drawings are required for all pre-consultation applications.

The personal information collected on this form is collected under the authority of the Planning Act as amended. The information is used for the purposes of scheduling and preparing a pre-consultation meeting. Questions regarding the collection of this information should be directed to the Towns Records/FOI Coordinator at 519-941-3599, ext. 230

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

All pond construction on properties in the Niagara Escarpment Plan area require a permit from the Niagara Escarpment Commission. All properties in the Town are governed by a Conservation Authority and these individual Conservation Authorities may also require permits for pond construction.

For your convenience, below are contact numbers for these agencies:

All lots in the Town of Mono having an area of 1.21 hectares (3 acres) or less are permitted maximum accessory lot coverage of 140 m2 (1,500 sq ft), which includes all garages, attached or detached, and outbuildings. For lots greater than 3 acres, the lot coverage for all accessory buildings is 1% of the lot area to a maximum of 1500 m2 (16,146 ft2).

Maximum height shall not be greater than 12 metres (40 feet).

» For more information, please see Section 5(1) of Zoning Bylaw 78-1.

In Rural and Residential Zones in the Town of Mono, home occupations are permitted and must conform to the provisions set out below. If your property is located in the Niagara Escarpment Plan or Development Control area, home occupations are allowed; however, a permit is required from Niagara Escarpment and additional conditions may apply.

Not more than 25% of the dwelling shall be used for the home occupation and it shall neither change the residential character of the dwelling, nor create or become a public nuisance, due to excessive dust, fumes, noise, vibration, traffic or parking. There shall be no goods, wares, or merchandise, other than arts and crafts produced on the premises, offered or exposed for sale or rent on the premises.

No person, other than a member of the family, shall be employed in the home occupation or engaged in canvassing, delivering or as go-between in distributing merchandise to customers. Only private medical practice may include one employee who is not a member of the practitioner's family.

No external display or advertising, other than a lawful sign of a maximum 0.56 m2 (6 sq ft), is permitted to indicate that any part of the home is being used for a purpose other than residential.

» For more information, please see Section 5(9) of Zoning Bylaw 78-1.

A secondary dwelling unit is permitted on lots that have a minimum lot area of 10 hectares (25 acres). Second dwellings are not permitted in the Niagara Escarpment Plan and Development Control Areas.

A Secondary Dwelling Unit must be subordinate in size to the principal dwelling house; shall have a minimum gross floor area of 74 m2; shall have a maximum setback of 50 metres from the principal use; shall have a separate septic system; and shall utilize the existing driveway access. It is a strict policy in the Official Plan that secondary dwelling units shall not be severed from the property in the future.

» For more information, please see Section 5(1)(i) of Zoning Bylaw 78-1.

All lots in the Town of Mono having an area of 0.81 hectares (2 acres) or less require a building permit from the County of Dufferin Building Department for the required fence enclosure. All fences for pools shall be constructed in accordance with Bylaw 2011-46.

A Site Plan must be submitted to the Town, with the applicable Municipal Approval Form, detailing the pool fencing location and the type of fence to be constructed. Once the Municipal Approval has been approved by the town, a building permit may be applied for at the County of Dufferin.

Please note that all construction vehicles must utilize the existing driveway. If this is not feasible, an Application for Entrance Permit may be applied for.

In the Rural and all Residential zones in the Town of Mono, one accessory apartment shall be permittedin a residence on a lot. If your property is located in the Niagara Escarpment Plan or Development Control area, apartments are not permitted.

The size of an accessory apartment shall be limited to a maximum of 30% of the gross floor area of a single detached dwelling house, excluding the basement and private garage. If an accessory apartment is located wholly in the basement, there is no maximum gross floor area.

Apartments are only permitted in the dwelling house, and are not permitted in any accessory garages or other building on the property.

» For more information, please see Section 5(1)(h) of Zoning Bylaw 78-1.

A maximum of 3 dogs are permitted on any property not licenced as a kennel. Licenced kennels are strictly controlled and are permitted on a property of at least 19.5 hectares (48 acres). Kennel licences must comply with Bylaw 2002-62, as amended. Once all requirements of Bylaw 2002-62, as amended, have been met, the Orangeville Branch of the OSPCA is responsible for the reviewing, issuing, and renewing of kennel licences in the Town.

A building permit is required for any new construction greater than 10 m2 (108 sq ft) in area.

A site plan indicating the size, location, and setbacks from property lines of your proposal should be submitted to the Town with an Application for Municipal Approval.
Building Permits are also required for projects other than new construction. The County of Dufferin has a list of the types of construction projects that require a Building Permit on their Building Department website.

For information on building standards of the Ontario Building Code, please contact the County of Dufferin Building Department at:

55 Zina Street
Orangeville, ON L9W 1E5

Phone: 519.941.2816 Ext. 2700

» Map

Properties zoned Rural and that are greater than 1.62 hectares (4 acres) are permitted to keep animals. Property size will determine the number and type of animals permitted.

Rural properties between 0.41 hectares (1 acre) and 1.62 hectares (4 acres) are permitted to have not more than 20 fowl or mature rabbits (plus litters).

Any barns proposed to house five (5) or more animal units must receive a Nutrient Management Certificate from the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.

»For more information, please see Section 20(4) of Zoning Bylaw 78-1 to determine the number and type of animals permitted on your property, and requirements for building barns on smaller lots.

Official Plan Schedule Maps

Front Desk Access

A Town of Mono Natural Heritage binder is located at the Town of Mono Town Hall front desk, containing the draft Natural Heritage Atlas mapping, policies and methods, for review and comment. Additional copies of binder materials may be requested at the front desk.

All comments, additions or deletions would be gratefully appreciated. Please send by email to the Planning Department or leave written materials at the Town of Mono Municipal front desk. Thank you.

View Larger Map