Personal information provided by users of this Web site is subject to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990. c.M56 and will be used to respond to requests for information and services, or for the purpose for which it is intended. Users who submit solicited comments, questions, or other information to the Town of Mono via this web site should be aware that the information provided is public information and will be disclosed to any individual upon proper request. Persons submitting email comments or questions to the Town or to Town officials or employees should be aware that the Town cannot guarantee, nor does it represent that such communications will remain private or confidential. Similar to mailed or delivered comments, comments received via email may become subject to public disclosure under MFIPPA and/or part of the discovery procedure in a civil lawsuit.
For further information, please contact our Webmaster.
- Heritage Properties Map
- Cultural Heritage Property Registry
- Bylaw 2016-22, Heritage Properties of Interest
List of Designated Heritage Properties
- Relessey Church
- Mitchell Church
- William Cobean Residence
- Elder Post Office
- John Maguire Residence
- The Goodman Residence
- Currie House (William Large Residence)
- Squire McManus Residence
- Robert McBride Residence
- The Woodland House
- St. Peter’s House
Address: 874615 5th Line (Southeast corner of Mono Centre Road and 5th Line)
Registered Date: May 18, 1995
Details and Reasons for Designation: Red brick church withsquare ornamental tower at the road entrance end and a vestibule exiting out tothe cemetery on one acre of land built in 1870.
Address: 873202 5th Line
Registered Date: April 26, 1995
Details and Reasons for Designation: Donated by the Mitchell family in the 1840’s. The Mitchell family owned the Mitchell Farm from 1824 to 1888. John Wendell Mitchell, the great grandson of the pioneer Peter Mitchell, was the author of the popular Mono Irish settlement story “The Yellow Briar”, written about the early pioneer life in Mono and Mono Mills. The original church was built in 1868 as a simple 3 bay gabled brick structure. The bays are defined by yellow brick filasters and each contains a tall gothic window. The original foundations are of rubble stone
William Cobean Residence
Address: 953283 7thLine
Registered Date: April 26, 1995
Details and Reasons for Designation: Historically and architecturally important Victorian style wood frame house and clad house constructed in 1872 on a 70 acre lot.
Elder Post Office
Address: 428005 25 Sideroad
Registered Date: May 18, 1995
Details and Reasons for Designation: Two storey log house circa 1855. House is a sizeable full two storey with two additions, one to the east (log) and one to the west(frame). The height of the second storey is notable in that most second storeys of log homes only have windows on the gable ends, the roof being much lower. It is an unusual two storey design log construction with dovetail corners.
John Maguire Residence
Address: 955140 7th Line
Registered Date: April 27, 2009
Details and Reasons for Designation: Built in 1870, this house is a fine example of a typical Ontario homestead in the late 1860’s with its banded brick work, symmetrically arranged with Palladian Fan. There is a transom over the front door and porch.
The Goodman Residence / Hall House
Address: 506014 Highway 89
Registered Date: Feb 14, 2014
Details and Reasons for Designation: The subject residence, known as the “Goodman Residence”, is located on an original, un-severed, one hundred acre parcel of land at the extreme northwest corner of the Town of Mono and was likely built in the 1870’s. The house is a good example of an Ontario Victorian farmhouse “built by a man of means”. The exterior construction of the home remains largely original. Historically, this lot is notable for being located at the junction of four municipalities - the Town of Mono, and the Townships of Amaranth, Mulmur, and Melancthon. It was originally known as Hall’s Corners because the owner, William Hall, owned property on both the Mono and Amaranth corners. Hall operated a coaching inn on the Amaranth side of the Townline, which served travellers along the Toronto-Sydenham Road during the mid to late 1800’s. The Hall family owned this property for approximately 100 years (from 1863 to 1961).
Currie House (William Large Residence)
Address: 794530 3rd Line
Registered Date: May 18, 1995
Details and Reasons for Designation: The 1870 main house is a rectangular split field stone storey and half structure with a centre gable. A frame “sun room” and cold kitchen were subsequent additions prior to 1935. Exact date of construction unknown although assessment records suggest approximately 1870. The interior of the house has been well restored with much of the original wood work intact and unique wood stove in living area.
Squire McManus Residence
Address: 93064 Mono-AdjalaTownline
Registered Date: April 26, 1995
Details and Reasons for Designation: Built in 1900, the house is two storey, of rubble construction covered in stucco, with a wrap-around porch. It is decorated with gingerbread trim and widow’s walk. There is a Celtic cross in the garden.
Robert McBride Residence
Address: 21 Goulding Lane
Registered Date: June 10, 1998
Details and Reasons for Designation: Homestead of Robert McBride, one of the first permanent pioneer settlers in the Township. Located in part of the Township which was first settled and which was traversed by early settlers routes and Indian trails. Part of dramatic escarpment, valley lands, and wilderness in the area and may contain archeological artifacts. The house, built in 1845, is a sizeable full two storey stone structure with one wood frame addition to the east. Although the stones are now exposed there is evidence that the house was stuccoed or grouted over at onetime. The wood frame windows may be original.
The Woodland House
Address: 753174 2nd Line
Registered Date: June 6, 2008
Details and Reasons for Designation: Building and property are of interest both historically and architecturally. One of Mono’s most respected citizens (and the treasurer of the township at the time of his death), was born on this farm and died in the house in 1911. The home itself, built between 1892 and 1895 is beautifully appointed with arched windows with elaborate brickwork detail throughout. The house has two original dormers on the east side, with elaborate detail and gingerbread trim.
St. Peter's House
Address: 953376 7th Line EHS
Registered Date: July 15, 2016
Details and Reasons for Designation: St. Peter's House has cultural heritage value in that it is a good example of an Ontario gothic revival farmhouse typical to the area, dating from the 1890's. It is representative of farmhouses of this area and era in its design, scale, material, and construction method. It is of sturdy and substantial scale for its time and location, the exterior bricks still being in good condition, and the triple course quoins being common to the area. The decorative and distinctive dichromatic brickwork of alternating red and buff bricks is a unique design feature and is a pattern not common to Mono. The house is typical of this style in that it has a storey and a half front block, with a centre door, dormer, and stairwell plan, and a rear cross gabled kitchen block. Upon close inspection some names and designs dated 1917 can be found inscribed into the exterior brickwork. The homestead served to anchor the working farm, and is both physically and visually linked to its surroundings, being settled in the landscape with a pond and cedar and willow trees behind, and a dug well with a hand water pump mounted on top. The cultural heritage value of St. Peter's House's also lies in its more recent use as a monastery in direct association with the following religious organizations: Cistercian Monastery of Notre Dame from 1981 - 1999 Ukrainian Catholic Episcopal Corp. of Eastern Canada from 1999 - 2014 Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria, The Church of The Virgin Mary and St. Athanasius from 2014 to present
Is your "How Do I?" question not listed? Fill out the form to let us know what you would like answered.
Dufferin.Biz is a joint project between the County of Dufferin, its member municipalities and local groups designed to market the collective assets of our community. Their goal is to promote to the world the unique strengths of Dufferin County that differentiate it from other regions and that offer the best environment for businesses and families.
Dufferin.Biz is a champion of local business and local ideas that support the growth of existing business community and provide an avenue for investment from outside our community.
Dufferin Farm Fresh
Linking farmers & producers with consumers & businesses.
Here in Dufferin County we are proud of our agricultural history. We have some of Ontario's best soil, now famous for our potatoes. We are a county of very large farms and very small farms, farmers who have been here for generations, and others who are coming to Dufferin to farm for the first time. Famous for potatoes, we are also large dairy farmers, cattle and calf operators and of course grow hay, corn, soy and many other market vegetables, fruits and plants.
Headwaters Communities in Action
Building A Better Quality of Life Together
Headwaters Communities in Action (HCIA) is a citizens group that fosters leadership and action in support of a long-term vision of community well-being for the Headwaters Region. They do this by helping to inform and engage citizens about issues affecting the well-being of our community. By hosting community conversations and encouraging people from different sectors and municipalities to work together, they help to coordinate effective responses to shared issues.
Visit HCIA for more information including:
- Local Food
- Listing of transportation options in Dufferin County
- Headwaters Community Well-Being Report
My Dufferin Service Directory
My Dufferin Service Directory includes organizations offering services to families in Orangeville, Shelburne, Grand Valley and surrounding areas in Dufferin County, with a focus on non-profit, municipal/government and other community services that support the well-being of children and families.
Further details are available on their website.
Ontario One Call
Safety Starts with You!
Call Before You Dig 24/7 for A FREE Locate 1-800-400-2255
It’s getting pretty crowded underground. There could be gas pipelines, electrical services, telephone and cable TV as well as water and sewer connections. In addition to these types of buried services to your home, there could be distribution networks for utilities that serve your neighborhood and community. In some cases, such as pipelines and fiber optic cables, they may even be part of a national feeder route.
Ontario One Call (ON1Call) was formed in 1996 to establish a call centre that receives excavation locate requests and notifies registered owners of underground facilities within the vicinity of the dig-site of the planned excavation.
PROBUS Club of Orangeville
PROBUS Club of Orangeville, serving Orangeville and area, is a not-for-profit social club open to retired and semi-retired professionals, business and like-minded people, and their spouses. No fund raising or commitments other than a low annual membership fee.
Meets at 10:00 am on the second Thursday of every month in the Orangeville Agricultural Society Event Centre to socialize, hear about club activities, enjoy refreshments, and listen to an interesting guest speaker. Various interest groups meet throughout the month to take part in activities and share their knowledge. Further details are available on their website.
Road Watch is a joint police and citizen program that makes it easy to report dangerous and aggressive drivers to the OPP while remaining anonymous. Forms are available at Mono Plaza, the OPP detachment in Primrose and on the Mono Community Policing web site.
Please consider making use of this program as it can, and has, saved lives.
Did you know that you can dial *OPP (*677) on your cell phone to contact the OPP for non-emergency purposes?
Make Contact. Build Strength
TeleCheck Dufferin is dedicated to:
- supporting seniors who wish to live independently, longer and safely, in their homes;
- offering relief to caregivers in their roles with aging loved ones;
- filling the gaps in service by providing patient and client support to service providers and health care professionals;
- supporting seniors experiencing memory issues with gentle medication and appointment reminders; and much more!
Their expanded check-in service in Dufferin and Orangeville is now providing coverage in the mornings and afternoon/evenings - 7 days a week - year round - delivered by skilled volunteers who are dedicated to serving seniors and their community.
TeleCheck Dufferin/Torchlight is reaching out to interested people of all ages to train as volunteers. This is a unique opportunity to put your years of wisdom and experience to use and to learn new skills - that are transferrable to school and studies; work; personal life, interpersonal relationships and other volunteer opportunities.
Volunteer Dufferin, a Headwaters Communities in Action (HCIA) project, is a web-based platform that matches volunteers with a broad range of opportunities in Dufferin County.
As one of the pillars and indicators of Community Well-Being, our mission is to strengthen the volunteer base in Dufferin and increase community involvement and connectivity by engaging and mobilizing citizens in volunteering in Dufferin.
Whether you're an organization looking for volunteers or an individual looking to contribute to the community, it is the "go to place" for volunteering in Dufferin.