Information for Residents
On January 1, 2021, you should no longer receive plastic checkout bags from stores in Mono. You may only receive a bag if:
- You are first asked whether you need a bag and you respond that you require one
- The bag you receive is a paper bag that can be recycled
- You must pay for the bag
Businesses must allow you to use any reusable bag that you may already have, including bags from competitors.
Are There Any Exceptions?
You may still receive bags in situations when the bag is being used to do any of the following:
- Package loose bulk items, such as fruit / vegetables, nuts, grains, or candy;
- Package loose small hardware items such as nails and bolts;
- Contain or wrap frozen foods, meat, poultry or fish;
- Wrap flowers or potted plants;
- Protect prepared foods or bakery goods that are not already packaged;
- Contain prescription drugs received from a pharmacy;
- Transport live fish;
- Protect linens, bedding, or other similar large items that cannot easily fit in a reusable bag;
- Protect newspapers or other printed material that may be left outside;
- Protect clothes after laundering or dry cleaning;
- Protect tires that cannot easily fit in a reusable bag;
- Collect and dispose of animal waste
You may also receive small paper bags at no charge for smaller purchases.
For more information, view the Plastic Bag Bylaw.