On the advice of the Ministry of Health released late yesterday, Headwaters COVID-19 Assessment Centre will begin following the updated testing guidelines to prioritize those who are at the greatest risk and shift away from testing individuals with no COVID-19 symptoms.
As part of the guidance, people are being asked to visit the Assessment Centre if they are:'
- showing COVID-19 symptoms;
- Have been exposed to a confirmed case of the virus, as informed by their public health unit or exposure notification through the COVID-19 app;
- Are a resident or worker in a setting that has a COVID-19 outbreak, as identified and informed by their local public health unit; or
- Are eligible for testing as part of a targeted testing initiative directed by the Ministry of Health or the Ministry of Long-Term Care.
We are also encouraging those who have been directed by a physician to be tested prior to the start of their first chemotherapy treatment and dialysis patients who have been directed by a physician to be tested due to their ‘atypical’ symptoms to come to the COVID-19 Assessment Centre.
The Headwaters’ COVID-19 Assessment Centre’s hours of operation are from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm seven days a week, with the last person seen at 4:30pm. The Drive-Thru Assessment Centre is a self-contained, semi-permanent, hard-sided tent located at the top parking lot at 140 Rolling Hills Drive. Those looking to be assessed and swabbed may expect wait times from two to four hours depending on demand.
As part of its ongoing COVID-19 testing efforts, a number of pharmacies in Ontario will now test individuals who are not showing symptoms and are part of a vulnerable population.
“As we have seen time and time again during this pandemic, situations can change rapidly and we all need to be able to adapt,” said Kim Delahunt, President & CEO, Headwaters Health Care Centre. “We encourage people with symptoms to come to our assessment centre and to stay informed about the recommendations from public health and the Ontario Ministry of health.”
What to expect when you arrive at the COVID-19 Assessment Centre at Headwaters
- Please bring your health card with you
- The Assessment Centre is located at 140 Rolling Hills Drive
- Directional signage and directional assistants are available to direct drivers to the drive-through COVID-19 Assessment Centre
- Parking has now been extended to the grass field near onsite, to help avoid congestion on neighbouring streets
- Wait times are unpredictable and may be anywhere from two to four hours depending on demand
- The centre has two drive through lanes and staff can assess two vehicles at once.
- Vehicles will come through and be handed an assessment screening tool which is a sheet that those being screened will complete
- Vehicles that meet testing criteria then pull into the drive through tent and turn off their vehicle.
- A member of the care team will assess them while they are still in the vehicle
- If they meet the criteria, they will get a nasal pharyngeal swab
- Depending on the symptom severity they will be told to self-isolate or visit the emergency department while they await test results
With the upcoming winter season approaching, plans are underway to transition the current COVID-19 Assessment Centre to a more seasonally appropriate location while adhering to the Province’s directions on the accountabilities of hospitals. More information will be shared well in advance when plans are finalized.