Administrative Assistant — Public Works (12 month minimum Temporary Contract)
Reporting to the Director of Public Works/Road Superintendent this position provides administrative support for the Public Works Department. Performs multi-faceted and varied duties in a “frontline/point-of-contact”` position. Assists in back-up coverage to other Administration staff.
This list of duties only represents the core responsibilities to be performed. This position will require some or all of these duties to be performed and will also require additional duties as required by the Public Works Department.
- Provides “first response” customer service including telephone, front counter and electronic mail inquiries, providing responses and notification of Public Works operations, services, programs, projects and policies.
- Processes Wide Load, Road Occupancy, Special Event and Entrance Permit Applications.
- Provides administrative support and assistance to the Director of Public Works, Public Works Manager and Operations Foreman.
- Prepares confidential letters, agreements, reports & forms; files correspondence and updates spreadsheets/lists as required; prepares and assists with mass mail-outs.
- Processes tender deposits and bonds, entrance/occupancy deposits, lottery license fees, tax and water payments; orders supplies and items according to Town procedures and budget requirements
- Schedules staff training and maintain records.
- Documents, researches and responds to various types of Public Works enquiries and/or complaints.
- Assists the general public at the office counter; provide information and direct queries within the Public Works Department.
- Maintains professional relationships with the County, Municipalities and Provincial agencies as directed by Senior Management.
- Assists other departments during lunch hours or extended absences.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by Director of Public Works.
- 2-year community college diploma in business or public administration
- 4 years progressive experience in a municipal administrative support role with knowledge of municipal infrastructure/public works operations and maintenance programs and services and related administrative functions
- Basic knowledge of accounting procedures
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, GIS mapping, Keystone Tax/Water program, Outlook, Lottery License program.
- Proven quality customer service skill with both internal and external customers.
- Exhibits superior interpersonal communication skills and strong conflict management skills.
- Strong organizational skills to plan, prioritize, and coordinate flow of work to ensure deadlines are met.
- Cooperates well with others and demonstrates an ability to function efficiently under significant time and workload pressures.
- Displays an aptitude for figures for data inputting, spreadsheets and invoices.
- Possesses excellent proofreading skills, including written, verbal and strong listening skills.
- Possesses excellent keyboarding and administrative procedure skills
Submitting an Application
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by February 15, 2021 at 4:00 pm to: